Do you love Roger Williams Park? Do you love and know the local neighborhoods? Do you speak Spanish? Do you know someone who does? Then, good news! We are hiring a part-time Program Manager to work with the Providence Parks Department on programs and events in the Park. Read on and share this opportunity widely!
Job Description – Part-Time Program Manager
January 29, 2021
Roger Williams Park Conservancy is seeking a part-time Program Manager to coordinate and support existing programs and develop new ones in partnership with the Providence Parks Department in Roger Williams Park. The Program Manager will recruit and retain artists, fitness instructors, community groups and naturalists to create programs that attract participants from neighboring communities of Elmwood, Washington Park, and Edgewood.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to organize events, connect with local communities, and oversee details. He or she should be personally committed to the Conservancy’s vision: that Roger Williams Park transforms lives by being a personal oasis, a neighborhood park, and a community treasure for Rhode Island and beyond. This position is an opportunity to engage with the creative community, the fitness community, the environmental community, and neighborhood leaders and partners.
About Roger Williams Park Conservancy
Roger Williams Park Conservancy is a small but growing fast-paced nonprofit organization whose mission is to sustain and enhance Roger Williams Park as a vibrant public space for all. The Rhode Island Foundation launched the Conservancy in 2015 with a $10M campaign for capital expenses and the Conservancy’s endowment. We work closely with the City of Providence to ensure that Roger Williams Park achieves its promise as the “People’s Park.” We plan to enhance the lives of 10,000 people over the next two years. We will enhance community connections, improve health and fitness, and add to and restore the Park’s natural features.
The Program Manager, who reports to the Executive Director, will:
- Build and maintain a program calendar, connect with vendors and contractors, procure permits, and develop and maintain relationships with Parks Department staff and the Conservancy board,
- Work closely with Park neighborhoods to design park programs and other investments that reflect the culture and the dynamics of the neighborhood,
- Supervise volunteers,
- Help out as needed with the day-to-day operations of the organization, and
- Work flexible hours as the programs require.
We are seeking a candidate who excels in relationship-building, is detail-oriented, and has strong project management skills. The ideal candidate should have:
- A track record of developing and organizing successful events, especially multiple events weekly,
- A history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles,
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to lead a team of Parks Department partners, consultants, and volunteers,
- A creative mindset,
- Social media skills, and
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish.
Knowledge of local culture, city government, civic and religious groups, and some experience in parks management are plusses but are not requirements.
Compensation is $37,500/year for this part-time, 24-hour/week (average) position. The position includes paid vacation, contributions towards health insurance premiums (10% of salary), and a retirement plan (up to 3% of salary).
Roger Williams Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Kevin Essington, Executive Director, at email@example.com no later than February 26, 2021.